The Paris attacks, at the hands of Islamic jihadis, are heartbreaking in so many ways. I truly love Paris, and have had many great moments there. At dinner with friends recently, I fantasized about us all traveling to Paris and bathing ourselves in the city’s great food, architecture, history, and beauty.
I once traveled to India on a business trip, and instead of flying directly home we chose to have a business meeting in Paris, allowing us to spend 24 hours in the city. I will never forget the feeling I had, exhausted from India, as the sight of Notre Dame came into view, in the afternoon sun…tears filled my eyes as my soul felt the embrace of this monument to the Western tradition.
Don’t get me wrong, I love India — its food, its people, its spirituality.
But I am wholly of the West, and cherish its essence so very, very much. The sight of Notre Dame spoke to me more loudly in that moment than any poetry ever could — I was home.
Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite.
But as much as I love the Western tradition, other people, including some who are of the west and many who are outside it, hate it and want to destroy it.
Now, if you want to destroy a group of wealthy and powerful nations, how do you go about it? Should you launch a direct assault?
Of course not, as frontal assault against a more powerful enemy always fails.
No, you must infiltrate the enemy’s borders, increase your numbers over time, resist any assimilation of your culture into theirs, show patience as you plot and plan, and then strike from within, to deadly effect.
If you were a terrorist in the Middle East in 2007, you may have dreamed the following dream:
- That an American president would diminish American power generally and specifically,
- That an American president would abandon Iraq and Afghanistan without leaving a critical mass of combat personnel to help protect fledgling governments (as every previous American president had done as wars were ended),
- That an American president would embrace Islamic hardliners like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and elsewhere,
- That an American president would fail to intervene in Syria despite documented use of chemical weapons (proving that the so-called “red line” of the president was crossed without consequence, and that other murderous actions would face a similar lack of consequences),
- That an American president would fail to protect U.S. diplomats from assassination and subsequent degradation of their bodies in the streets,
- That an American president would traffic in anti-Christian rhetoric while refusing to use the terms “Muslim” and “Islam” when discussing multiple terrorist bombings and killings inside his own country and around the world,
- That an American president would liberate senior Muslim commanders from Guantanamo Bay, for no good reason,
- That an American president would give the America-hating and Jew-hating Iranian mullahs a direct path to the procurement of nuclear weapons,
- That an American president would welcome 10,000 refugees into the interior of the United States from a country whose population harbors terrorists from Hezbollah, ISIS, Al Qaeda, and other jihadist groups.
All this and more has in fact come true, so much so that our 2007 jihadi dreamer must be simply shocked at this point.
If you voted for mr. Obama, are you shocked yet? Will you ever be.
From Christopher Hull, writing in US News and World Report (“Obama is Dead Wrong About the Paris Attacks“):
The Obama White House would also have you believe that the 10,000 Syrian refugees the president is in the process of bringing to America this year alone will “go through the most robust security process of anybody who’s contemplating travel to the United States.” Just last week, the administration acknowledged that it was bringing online refugee screening outposts in the Middle East to “push out really ambitious goals” to “increase the channels” for bringing Syrians to America.
Unfortunately, President Obama’s own FBI director, James Comey, says the U.S. can’t properly vet Syrians for ties to Islamic jihad. Likewise, the assistant director for the FBI, Michael Steinback, has told Congress that when it comes to Syrian refugees, “We don’t have it under control.”
And so the accelerating suicide of the United States of America continues.
Since the Paris attacks Friday night, the internet has been flooded with examples of worldwide expressions of solidarity with France. On the one hand I find this to be touching and reaffirming of the goodness in many corners of the earth.
On the other hand, I am growing tired of the world’s sympathy for each “bloodbath” of terrorist carnage perpetrated against innocent Westerners, whether in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, committed by Muslim extremists, or the Madrid train bombing, committed by Muslim extremists, or the Paris attacks, committed by Muslim extremists.
And so with the benefit of hindsight, if you voted for Barack Hussein Obama in 2012 and/or in 2008, we can now say with certainty that you made the wrong choice. Whatever your “key issues” were in each campaign — you know, the ones that made you pull the lever for this man whose formative years were spent in Indonesia and whose mentors and parents hated our country and heritage — they were the wrong ones.
The Western world is being destroyed before our very eyes, and the liberty that we all have enjoyed these last 100 years is getting asphyxiated more and more each day as a result of the calamity of toxic actions taken or not taken by the Obama administration.
WE MUST RESOLVE, that for all its flaws, the Western tradition, as rendered most fully in the United States of America, is the last best hope of earth.
The sanctity of the individual.
Rule by law and not by personality.
The right to make free choices in pursuit of happiness.
These ideas are fragile and must be defended, or they will be extinguished by evil men.